Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 5 & MIGRAINE


You know what's (not) funny. Last night, I re-read all my posts to back when I started this blog. It was the migraines that inspired me to write. Even though it had been 3 weeks since I've had one, I found myself lying awake in bed thinking about them.

And what happens this morning? I'm having a grand 'ol day at work... no classes just lots of time for planning and catching up. Feeling super satisfied and energized from my 9 hour sleep, egg & swiss on whole wheat toast, and a cold press iced coffee from Benny's.... and BOO - an aura just sneaks up on me. As i struggle to see through zigzag white lines I pop in a treximet and hope for the best. Within a half hour my left temple (always the left) is throbbing and I feel like I'm going to puke. Somehow (I probably shouldnt have) I drove home, found parking, and curled up in the dark with a pack of expired trader joe's frozen raspberries draped over my eyes.

6 hours later the headache was still here. I decided I was going to use the dreaded sumavel dose pro. This medication is pretty f'in scary. The last time I used it was 2 years ago, and upon administering, screamed so loud I surprised myself. This is what it looks like :


I don't know why it says "press the button." Also I do it on my outer thigh, not my stomach. Its compressed air, not a needle but IT HURTS SO BAD. And I do not know what I would do if I was diabetic because it seriously took me like 15 minutes to push it into my leg.

Anyway, the effect is almost instantaneous. The medicine goes directly into your bloodstream so I almost immediately started feeling better.

In other news, having a migraine makes me extremely, nauseous & queasy if not unable to keep anything down at all. So instead of my huge salad that I prepared for myself last night, I had to go for chickarina soup & pretzel sticks. While not necessarily unhealthy, the soup is filled with sodium and processed meatballs... the pretzels just unnecessary carbs. But I always want soup and pretzels when I'm sick, and both those foods make me think of being home :(

...

Anne Taintor can always cheer me up on a day when I feel helpless and powerless. Lately I have been obsessed with the "create your own caption" contest. I seriously die laughing, I don't know why I think these are so funny! Here are some of my favs:




No comments:

Post a Comment