Sunday, February 10, 2013

Day 13 - frozen blueberries

Today I discovered an amazing treat! I froze some fresh blueberries so that they would last longer... This morning, I took some out for my cereal and popped one in my mouth. Yum! They are like little frozen blueberry candies. I've frozen grapes before but sometimes find that the skin separates from the flesh when eating them frozen and it grosses me out. The frozen blueberries were yummy all around :)


Nemo really screwed with my car. Thankfully I have Marvin to help me dig it out this weekend.




I saw a turtle dove today! I have never seen one in real life before. It really just looks like a white pigeon but it was still cute!


I almost got into a mini fight with Marvin because he was supposed to come into the city to hangout with me, but changed his mind. I know he needed to stay home and shovel for his parents and help them out, but I was still annoyed. However I wound up having a VERY fun-filled day with friends.

First I went to one of my favorite brunch spots - Macondo - with Rosa. You order a brunch item + one drink and then have unlimited mimosas for 2 hours. The mimosa flavors are outrageous and use all natural ingredients - Vanilla orange (grated vanilla beans and fresh squeezed OJ), OR Raspberry mint (fresh raspberry puree with crushed mint leaves). I LOVED the raspberry mint. Its just sweet enough and makes your mouth feel minty after each sip.

To eat, I ordered to Huevos Rancheros. Basically, 2 eggs over easy with cojita cheese, salsa, and chopped chorizo, over a tortilla.... served in a piping hot skillet. This was honestly the BEST brunch I've had in awhile. We also got guacamole with yuca chips.

Overall, very "real food" friendly. Unfortunately I had 5 mimosas which clearly was not the best way to Start a Saturday afternoon.

Another thing I love about Macondo are the bathroom walls. They are chalkboards and a huge bucket of chalk sits temptingly on the ledge by the sink. So there's plenty of reading material while you pee, plus... you can add some of your own words of wisdom :)

Open kitchen at Macondo


Raspberry mint mimosa

Huevos Rancheros

My bathroom wall art
My new favorite thing is getting a Manicure or pedicure while tipsy. I just love the feeling of my hands or feet being massaged while I let the buzz take into effect. Also, my lowered inhibitions encourage me to choose more colorful colors :P



After our manis, I went back to Rosa's and had some sliced cheddar cheese with Bourbon. An odd mix, but we were SO cold and wanted something to nibble on. I lazily stared out the window as Rosa got changed for our next adventure


Next, we took a cab to "Bourbon St" over on Restaruant Row, one of my least favorite places in Manhattan. Restaurant Row is filled with fancy looking (but cheaply run) restaurants where scantily clad women stand outside and hassle you with their menus. It reminds me a lot of South Beach.... the food is terrible and overprices, but somehow tourists LOVE it.

At Bourbon St, I caught up with some old coworkers at my friends birthday party. I also had... er... 3 more bourbon and ginger ales and one honey BBQ chicken wing.

By 10:30 I was very drunk and ready to go home. Amazingly I got a ride all the way back to the UES, and made myself a bowl of whole wheat spaghetti to suck up some alcohol. I fell asleep watching Justin Bieber on SNL (which I obviously DVRed for later)


So overall....

Breakfast
-Cereal with blueberries
-Skim vanilla latte

Lunch
-Huevos Rancheros
-Yuca chips & guac

Dinner
-Whole wheat spaghetti

Snacks
-Cheddar Cheese

The Cheats:
-5 mimosas
-3 bourbon & gingers
-1 chicken wing


3 comments:

  1. The next time I see you we are TOTALLY getting drunk at brunch then getting mani/pedis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete