Sunday, March 2, 2014

Polar Vortex

Here we are, waiting for yet another storm. Usually I get a little tiny bit excited before a storm based on the prospect that school MIGHT be closed or delayed, but now I'm just pissed because I know it won't be. No matter the severity of the storm or the condition of the roads, I will be required to go to work and basically babysit children. Every time there's a storm, only about a third of the kids come so wind up doing nothing but pretty much... babysitting!

However, I'm in a really good mood this morning due to excellent customer service with two different companies: DSW & Zappos. The lesson I learned from this experience is a) always give customer service people the benefit of the doubt and b) if you buy something, and it doesn't meet up to your standards, always try to return it... even if the return window has passed!

Cases in point:

I recently bought Totes boots from dsw.com. I loved them for the first wear or two, then began to notice that they "stretched out" a lot and were basically falling off my feet. Since I had already worn them a few times, I thought I had to suck it up so I just wore thicker socks. Then, in DC, one of the bottoms of the shoes cracked open, leaving me with a very wet and nearly frostbitten foot. 

I emailed DSW explaining the situation, and they wrote back right away apologizing and said to take the shoe to any DSW store for a full refund. I was skeptical. Not only were the shoes worn, but they were broken. I went in to DSW with my fighting guard ready, and was shocked when the cashier told me there was a note on my account to issue the full refund, and she didn't even glance at the shoes! Score!

Onto Zappos. A month or so ago I ordered a winter jacket, which I have worn daily since. I love it, but after a day or two of wearing, the zipper began getting stuck at the bottom. Now, its so bad that I pretty much have to step out of the jacket every time I wear it because I can't get the zipper open.

Zappos has a great return policy, but only if you keep the original packaging and return items unworn. Last night I figured eh, I'll give it a shot... and I emailed customer service about the jacket. Literally 15 minutes later I had a lengthy response from "Mike" at customer loyalty apologizing deeply for the issue, even making a comment about wanting to keep the NY customers warm for the upcoming snowstorm, and told me to call so they can process my exchange or FULL REFUND! When I called this morning, I was thrilled to discover that they had ALREADY credited my account with the cost of the coat. Since they don't have those coats anymore, they emailed me a free shipping label to just send it back for a refund. I am so happy!!!

I actually do need a coat though, so I ordered this one late last night. It doesn't look that warm but the reviews say its fur-lined and really warm. I guess we'll see!

Friday at work I had such a yummy lunch that sort of reminded me of Julie so I had to take a picture. What you see here are Beanito bean chips, Applegate turkey breast, and baby carrots.


I paired the beanitos with my favorite tribe hummus: olive.

These Beanito chips were pretty tasty, and based on the ingredients they actually do fall under Simply Filling


Every Friday I try to stop by Mr. Melon during my lunch break at work and stock up on fruits and veggies for the weekend. Here's what I picked up:



After work I was really craving good beer, so I stopped by Beirkraft and picked these up. The best were the Brown Dog Ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment