Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sleepy Sunday

I literally have done nothing but sleep so far today... but it feels damn good! Now I'm curled up in the little sunny corner of my apartment on my chair that I never sit on, and feeling very happy to have had this lazy day. After this, I need to clean and vacuum and get going with Insanity, so let me bask in this moment.

Some life updates. I finally got over my Thursday hangover but my stomach is still acting sort of strange from the excessive grease and alcohol. I also didn't do Insanity on Friday night which means another 2-day skip. I'm realizing how hard of a time I have working out on Friday evenings... which means I just need to do a better job of sticking to the schedule Monday-Thurs and Sat/Sun. Friday, Marvin and I jumped into bed and then order Chinese (don't worry, I got something healthy). Then we literally fell asleep at like 8:30.

Saturday we slept late again, and spent the morning running some errands. I finally got to go to my favorite Farmers Market and picked out some yummy apples. The rest of the day was spent laying around, cleaning, and helping Marvin with his group project.

It was a nice night so we went out for some Mexican and sangria... only to be disappointed with tiny portions and weak drinks. Motivated, we came home and made our own sangria. This was my best recipe yet so I need to write it down.

Liz & Marvin's sexy Sangria:
Into a pitcher, mixed up
-The juice of one fresh orange, with pulp
-One orange, chopped into cubes, with rind
-One Apple chopped into cubes, with skin
-One tablespoon of raw sugar
-One shot of cognac
-About 3/4 bottle of good malbec

Pour into glasses over ice :)


Today I've pretty much been sleeping and researching apartment dividers (I'll get to that in a second). I simply had to have a bagel this morning, and I don't feel bad about because I got whole wheat with lowfat scallion cream cheese. Yum. It was so good.




Hopefully, Marvin & I will be moving in together soon... but even the "cheap" apartments are no so cheap. Probably the lowest we can go for 1 bedroom would be $2000, and that doesn't include living and moving costs. Also, a 1 bedroom for $2000 is going to be small :-( At the same time, we are trying to save up for more fun things in the future like weddings, houses, etc. By living at home Marvin can easily save but living apart is NOT fun.

Last night, Marvin casually brought up staying here, in my studio, together. I immediately turned down the suggestion (it had already crossed my mind) because I feel like we would be on top of each other. But this afternoon, I was sitting in my sunny garden (which is about the size of my entire apartment) thinking - Damn, I really don't want to leave this place. So I started looking up room dividers. My apartment is actually not so small for a studio on the upper east side... the main problem I feel would just bedtime and wake up time. We are often not on the same schedule and really need a separate space to sleep. I looked up some studio room divider pictures and here are some I found:




While none of these are the particular style and shape of my apartment or exact design I would like, I started to feel excited about the possibility of staying here. The benefits would be:
-Cheaper rent. Splitting $1500 between two people is much better than $2000-$2500 between two people
-No moving costs and more importantly, no moving STRESS
-Get to keep my beautiful backyard space
-No having to get used to a new area - I love where I live 
-Buys us more time - my lease is up in August but Marvin won't finish school until December... meaning he will still have to go back and forth to LI 2-3 days a week. I'm not sure if it even makes sense to him to move in until he's done with school.

1 comment:

  1. you have the cutest backyard space ever, i totally agree that you should stay there and not worry about the stress/cost of moving. a divider is a great idea and i love the pics you posted, i'm sure you can find something that will allow you guys to live there together. my opinion, it's totally worth it to cram into a smaller space if it allows you to save $...why pay more for a SLIGHTLY bigger apartment when you're going to feel just as cramped but without the outdoor space. once you guys live in a cramped space together, you'll know whether you can keep living that way or if you need to move on. our last apt in chicago was small and cramped and awful, but i wasn't willing to pay a dime more and we needed certain amenities so we had to go with that apt. we're obviously the extreme example (because we learned that city life just didn't work for us anymore) but if i could go back in time, i'd still put us in that tiny and cramped apartment for our last year because at least i didn't pay more $$$$ for it.

    ReplyDelete