Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Farmers Market

Marvin is typically next to me when I wake up on Saturday mornings, and our favorite thing to do is lay in bed for hours. Hours. Talking, watching funny youtube videos... whatever. The feeling of NOT having to get up is irreplaceable.

But when he's not here I always take advantage of my second favorite Saturday morning activity: The Farmer's Market.

I am lucky to have a year round FM one block over - in the church parking lot from 8am-2pm every Saturday. There's just something about the open bins of brightly colored pesticide-free fruits and vegetables, ice coolers filled with organic beef, poultry, and fish, and the unforgettable smell of fresh apple cider.

More often than not, I just wander around grazing my fingers over all the produce, asking stand owners questions as if I am going to buy. Picturing the delicious soups and side dishes I could cook up in my kitchen. But then I leave and head straight over to Oren's coffee to get my small skim latte with very processed vanilla syrup.

But today I just couldn't resist. The tall bright green leeks sat bundled next to the white stumpy cauliflower bunches and called out: Cauliflower Leek soup! The tart green Granny Smith apples yelled: Dip me and almond butter and take a bite! The fresh clams, on sale, whispered "Simmer me, steam me, whatever you'd like.

Its not every day that food speaks to me. So today I just had to give in.


No comments:

Post a Comment