Sunday, November 18, 2012

Living Primal

So I finished the 5-day Dukan diet Attack phase (pure, lean protein... nothing else) and lost about 4 pounds. But after the detox I am really craving fruits & veggies and not feeling too motivated to sticking with Dukan. So I finally picked up the Paleo diet book I bought last year and read it cover to cover. I'm super excited about making the slow transition to a Paleo or primal lifestyle. The basic idea is going back to the diet/lifestyle our ancestors came from... like ancestors meaning cavemen. NO refined, processed foods are allowed, including flour/grains. But there are really no other rules... no calorie counting or food restrictions, etc. "Primal" is a little more lenient than Paleo.... Paleo says no dairy at all (from a cow) because our ancestors never ate dairy... and there are a billion other reasons why our body doesn't do well with cow milk anyway. Primal eating says that SOME dairy is okay... but its better to stick to organic milk and goat cheese.

Here are the (very) basic, and seemingly obvious guidelines of Primal living. The "blueprint" is based on healthy living 10,000 years ago :)

1) Eat lots of animals and plants (Eliminate grains, sugars, trans- and hydrogenated fats from your diet.)
2) Move around a lot at a slow pace (low level aerobic activity 2-5x a week)
3) Lift heavy things (lift weights 2-5x a week)
4) Get lots of sleep
5) Play
6) Get sunlight every day
7) Avoid trauma (Eliminate self-destructive behaviors)
8) Avoid poisonous things (Avoid exposure to chemical toxins in your food (pesticides, herbicides, chemicals, etc) and on your skin. Avoid the hidden poisons in foods like sugars, grains, processed foods, trans and hydrogenated fats, etc)
9) Use your mind 

Most of these are pretty self-explanatory. I'm mostly focusing on the eating aspects. My friend and her husband have been "eating primal" for almost 2 years and they lost a ton of weight, feel more energized, and never get sick.

So basically: Lean meats and vegetables are healthy, grains and sugars should be avoided. 

There are some food that are listed on the "moderation" list, and I think for this to work for me, I definitely need to keep some of those foods:


  • Eggs – Paleo says they are ok, in moderation. I eat a lot of egg whites so I think I'm good. And better to stick with cage free, organic eggs
  • Nuts – in moderation they are okay, and I'll probably eat some to replace all the crunchy saltiness I get from carbs
  • Coffee/Tea – Strict primal eaters eliminate caffeine all together, but I cannot live without my morning cup of coffee. 
  • Beans & Legumes – They are a strict NO on Paleo and primal guidelines! The ONLY problem I have with this is hummus :( I don't think I can go without hummus!!! But I did find this cool recipe that I may try http://libidiny.blogspot.com/search/label/hummus)
  • Dark Chocolate – Will def have this in moderation
  • Red Wine – Will def have this in moderation
  • Cheese – This is another big no in the Paleo book - but primal says SOME is okay... the more aged the better, and any cheese from goat or sheeps milk is best
  • Yams and Sweet Potatoes – Will def have these in moderation because its basically the only true "starch" allowed

  • I got most of my info about primal eating from this website http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/smart-fuel/#axzz2CX4t15SW. It has an endless amount of information on it. I wish I could carry it around in my pocket all day!


    This page is also great "primal bluebrint" shopping list

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-shopping-list/#axzz2CX4t15SW



    No comments:

    Post a Comment