Wednesday, April 9, 2014

I'm 30................. And ENGAGED!

I never would have imagined that just a few days after my "end of an era" post... a new era would begin. Starting with a very, very special 30th birthday gift :D

I had a great birthday, complete with lots of birthday hugs, texts, calls, facebook posts and emails. Marvin also came home with beautiful roses and flowers for me. We headed out around 6:30pm for a special dinner at Salumi... the place where we had our very first kiss!

Honestly, I was a little suspicious when Marvin insisted on going to Salumi. I let myself wonder.. just a little bit.. whether he had something extra special planned for my birthday dinner (a romantic proposal perhaps????) Even though no romantic proposal appeared throughout dinner, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and drank nearly a bottle of delicious wine. Along with:

The outstanding "Italian board" complete with delicious italian meats, cheeses, and fresh baked bread,



Stewed oxtail and gravy (with some more fresh baked bread)



























And some house made chicken and rice empanadas, which were gone too fast for a picture!

In the car ride home, the wine helped me lower my inhibitions enough to wonder aloud when Marvin was going to propose. He assured me that he loved me very much, but just wasn't ready, because he had a plan and wanted it to be perfect. I felt TERRIBLE and swore to myself never to bring it up again!

Well.

When we arrived at our building I was confused to see rose petals lining the hallway leading up to our apartment. I frantically tried to reassure myself that someone had NOT broken into our apartment and ransacked my birthday flowers! I could see light coming through the door and really had no idea what was going on.

Then Marvin opened the door to reveal this:

  
Still, I simply could not grasp what was going on. I think a mixture of exhaustion, booze, and our little talk in the car really helped me to not be able to accept the fact that it wasn't just a romantic birthday surprise... but....


That there was a ring on that table!!!!!!!!!!

Before I could react, Marvin grabbed the little black box and got down on one knee...


With a few perfect words, he asked me the question I've been waiting to hear my whole life.

And I said yes :)

 
I honestly cannot describe the overwhelming feelings of astonishment, joy, love, and excitement that I felt in the moments following Marvin's perfect proposal. I wish I could be proposed to over and over and over again. It's amazing!!!!

And that ring....


I literally cannot stop staring at my hand, and its been almost 2 weeks. Marvin did an amazing job and I feel so, so lucky and grateful to be given this beautiful gift by this beautiful person. I love him <3

The next day was a work day - so it was crazy! I literally hadn't spoken to anyone but my parents, sisters and cousins... since it was so late. So I spent every free second at work texting my closest friends and other family members... then just decided to go ahead and make it facebook official. Not to send corny but it was the best facebook post I've gotten to write so far. In my 10 years of facebook.

And I think everyone else thought so too. 178 likes!!

Inline image 1

The next night, we laid in bed eating our engagement cheesecake, and reading all of the congratulatory texts, emails, and facebook posts. It was so fun and I'll remember those 24 hours forever.


That weekend was my 30th birthday brunch, already planned, with my closest friends at family at Palo Santo. It wound up sort of being an engagement party as well... and I couldn't have asked for a better opportunity to share my happiest moment with everyone I love.

Inline image 2
Everyone seeing my ring for the first time - stole this picture from Julie's blog
Palo Santo was a perfect space for the party. Despite the cold rainy weather outside, we had lots of laughs, great conversation, and amazing food.
Inline image 3

Afterwards, most of my family and some friends went to the Public House up the block. We continued the fun with lots of beers, shots, and family photos.


We spent the rest of the weekend with Julie and Tom doing fun Brooklyn things, like eating takout pizza and drinking Bierkraft beer, sipping Gorilla coffee on the stoop, and brunching at Rosewater.

The brunch was delicious, and I sort of felt like it was our first "normal" thing as an engaged couple... so we snapped some pics as I casually displayed my new piece of jewelry :P

Smoked Yellowfin Tuna fishcakes with poached eggs and quinoa salad

Prosciutto and fried egg sandwich with hand cut fries
The past week or so has been a whirlwind. I'm still getting used to the fact that we're GETTING MARRIED, and just trying to get my life back to some sort of healthy and neat routine. I still feel like I have stuff all over my apartment from the engagement/birthday weekend.

I did manage to turn my birthday flowers into 3 adorable little mason jar arrangements. They're still going strong and its almost been 2 weeks!




I've also been spending way too much time looking up everything wedding-related. I think I'll just let myself live in the excitement a little bit longer. Or a lot longer.


To the best weekend of my life and many, many more wonderful memories with my amazing fiance.

<3


2 comments:

  1. Loved this!!!!!!!! So happy you wrote this all down and get to read it forever :)

    2 things:
    - Marvin is as tall as you on his knee!
    - 179 likes!

    ReplyDelete