Monday, April 14, 2014

Brooklyn Acupuncture Project and My Day

Since I woke up a with another headache today, I was very slow to get going. I finally forced myself out of bed and had some breakfast, coffee (which I turned into an iced coffee) and overnight oats (this particular jar had oats, fat free plain Fage yogurt, 2% milk! chopped bananas, cinnamin, salt and chopped raw almonds)


After watching a number of daytime news shows (I never get to watch these) I tried to get up and go grocery shopping but my body still wasn't ready. So when I got hungry, I had no other choice but eat random things in my fridge.... Which consisted of: ritz crackers, turkey pepperoni, string cheese, carrots, and hummus. 

Finally I took a shower and went out. I am super excited about the groceries I bought and can't wait to try the following 4 recipes from Skinnytaste:

Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore 
Chicken Quesadillas
Crockpot Balsamic Pork Roast
Skinny Buffalo Tenders

The Cacciatore is in the pot now and smells soooo good.


I'm also really excited about my nails! I was going to get a mani/pedi today but somehow ran out of time, so I wound up breaking out my favorite spring/summer color, Bachelorette Bash, and doing it myself! I love love love this color and don't know why I save it up for warm weather. I should just suck it up and wear it all year round!



Ok. Now for the juicy stuff. I FINALLY (wow, this post has a lot of "finally's" in it) gathered up the courage to go to my first acupuncture treatment at BAP (Brooklyn Acupuncture Project). It was a 10 min subway ride or a 30 min walk, I'm really glad I walked because it calmed my nerves and got me excited about the treatment.



So here's what I liked about it:

Rez, my practitioner, was really cool. She spent 20 or so minutes with me beforehand literally asking EVERYTHING about my health and wellness. Like seriously, she asked some stuff doctors have never asked before. I really felt like she was getting to know me as a patient.

Aside from it being a community setting, (I'll get to that in the dislikes) the atmosphere was extremely calm and relaxing. I could also actually feel a change in my body and muscles when the needles were put in... Which was weird but strangely satisfying (knowing that something was actually happening to me).

I didn't like how some of the needles burned going in. Most I barely felt, but one hurt so bad, she had to adjust it. I also didn't like how the needles made my muscles twitch. I felt incredibly anxious not knowing where each needle would go next, and not knowing how my muscles would react. It was crazy to feel the muscles in my neck and base of my head twitch so strongly when she put the needles there. 

I also didn't like how about ten minutes after she said "let me know if you get dizzy or nauseous," I got extremely dizzy and nauseous. I kept telling myself it was just in my head, but when I started sweating profusely and my stomach started hurting, I knew something was wrong. Luckily Rez was nearby and was able to come and remove the needles, get me some water and help me sit up, but I felt very sick and nervous. Apparently this is normal the first few times, but I definitely didn't like it.

And... The whole community thing is a cool concept, but I definitely didn't appreciate the woman snoring next to me. It was also kinda weird to walk by sleeping people with their body parts exposed and needle covered on the way to my bed. 

Verdict? I'm not sure. But I realized my headache was gone, literally, as I walked out the door. So maybe it's worth another shot...and this time, I'll definitely eat before I go. 





No comments:

Post a Comment