When I was younger I used to get really bad stomach aches, and my mom would sing me "Both Sides Now." I've never forgotten the lyrics of the song and have listened to many different versions throughout the years. It's sort if a sad song, but I think it tells a great story about resilience and I always like to think of some of the lines when I'm struggling with my health.
The last verse goes:
I've looked at life from both sides now..
Win and lose, and still somehow,
It's life's illusions I recall,
I really don't know life, at all.
Yeah. So somehow, even when the fear of migraines grips me, I still wake up with the sun streaming through my window and the mockingjay (I swear, there's a mockingjay in my backyard) singing its song, and can't help but feel hopeful for a perfect day.
Day 3 of Spring Break
-Sat on my sunny stoop in shorts for on Saturday and Sunday for 2-4 hours hours... Eating ice cream, people watching, chatting with neighbors, and spending time with the love of my life
-Transferred my two plants from ugly plastic green pots into bright yellow and purple ceramic beauties
-Went to Culture...check! They only had two flavors but it was delish!
-Did my taxes...check! I even helped M do his taxes on Turbotax too :)
-Watched 1.5 episods of House of Cards..check! Not that into it yet, but hoping to change mind about it.
-Bought another bottle of ginger dressing at Park Slope Farmers market... Check!
-Returned out months worth of cans/bottles to the redemption center, for a whopping refund of $1.10!
-Tried a new restaurant, Mezcal's, had a solid evening if people watching and happy hour margaritas
-Heard back from The Montaul club and Emailed Brooklyn Botanic
-Had a pleasant conversation with my mom about the wedding
-Called my grandma in the hospital and made her laugh
Culture cultures their own yogurt in house and uses only local, organic dairy.
His: Strawberry froyo with fresh mangoes
Hers: Strawberry and Original froyo with graham cracker crumb and dark chocolate chips
Mezcal's boasts $6 margaritas during happy hour. Not the greatest deal but they are really good.
His: Frozen coconut
Hers: Original on the rocks with salt
Losses:
-Woke up on Sat morning with a migraine
-Still have a headache now, it's Monday. Had a headache every day last week before finally culminating into the Saturday morning migraine. Have taken aleve every day for 10 days straight
Ok, so, many more "wins," but, the headache thing is really bothering me. I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow and usually doctor visits bring me, if anything, some mental rest so I'm looking forward to that.


I want that coconut margarita! Your spring break sounds awesome so far...I am very very jealous!
ReplyDelete