Today was the first official day of my 10 days of real food challenge that I'm doing with my sister. "Real" food means absolutely no processed foods or refined sugar whatsoever, including refined grains. While doing this, I plan to eat more paleo-ish (which doesn't allow any grains at all except sweet potatoes but is a little more flexible encouraging 1-2 "off" meals per week.
Today was okay but definitely not perfect.
Breakfast:
-2 cups of coffee (good) with 3 French vanilla coffeemate in each (bad)
-Muller lowfat yogurt (good) w/ strawberry purée (bad)
Lunch:
-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (good) with shake n bake (bad)
-Organic quinoa (good)
-Mixed salad (good) w/ handful of golden raises (good) and spoonful of wild rice (good)
-1/4 cup lowfat feta (good)
-Homemade dressing apple cider vinegar + olive oil (good)
Snack:
-Hot green tea (good)
-Organic omega granola bar
-cherries
-glass of red wine
Dinner:
-Homemade turkey chili (ground turkey breast, kidney beans, black beans, tomatoes, red yellow and green peppers, onion, garlic and some spices). I have some frozen that I'm going to defrost
-slice of 100% whole wheat organic bread
Basically the things I labeled as "bad" aren't really unhealthy... They just don't fall under the category of "real food."
I plan to remedy some of this by going shopping (which I neglected to do over the weekend) tonight to get:
-Fage 0% plain w/ honey (Paleo calls for whole milk but the nonfat Fage has a ton of protein and no extra added sugar/preservatives)
-Organic half n half for my coffee and natural sugar (no sugar is really allowed, but this will be better than the flavored coffeemate.) And I cannot have my coffee without some sort of lightener and sweetener
-a bunch of fresh fruits and veggies
-yams
So, here's the thing with the shake n bake. I have become grossed out by any type of boneless skinless meat (chicken, pork) because I can't grill it in the winter, and baking or pan frying just makes it taste gross! (To me). My mom suggested I tried shake n bake. Unlike bread crumbs, it doesn't require eggs to stick - just water. It also give it a semi fried taste (who doesn't love fried chicken) of crispy on the outside, hot and moist on the inside. However.... Check out the ingredients below... Definitely a lot of NON natural things. I haven't decided yet how much I will care about this. Literally about a teaspoon goes on each piece of chicken - and if it'd going to get me to cook and eat chicken, maybe it's worth it???



No comments:
Post a Comment