Monday, July 29, 2013

Pain

I got my first real migraine on Saturday since Jan 2nd. That's 7 months without a migraine. Sure I've gotten headaches here and there but NOTHING like I experienced on Saturday... 5 hours of my life gone... disintegrated into a dark, silent, medicated room. The ONLY thing I can connect the migraine to is a lack of exercise. In Grenada, I spent two weeks drinking lots of alcohol and getting very little sleep. But I was still walking, sweating, and exercising somewhat every day. Since I've been back I've done nothing... but have continued to struggle with sleep and eat/drink whatever I wanted. It's pretty much a given now that a migraine will occur with TWO or more of the following factors:

-Interrupted sleep for 2 days in a row (required)
-Stress
-No exercise
-Excessive alcohol, caffeine, or junk food
-Week before or during my period

If only one of those things are happening, I will most likely not get a migraine. But if 2 or more are happening, its almost guaranteed. This realization has come over the past year or two... and it causes me to get in little funks. Once I actually get a migraine, this fear grips me for some time afterwards, and leads to MORE of the factors - interrupted sleep (worried about getting more migraines), stress (worried about getting more migraines), no exercise (worried about increasing migraine related head pain), alcohol (drinking helps me stop worrying about migraine), etc.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me sad :( but at least you seem to know what causes the migraines. I'm so proud of you for working out yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete