1) The fruit - I ate some of the best fruit in Grenada, and literally picked it right of the trees. Among my favs were mangos, coconuts, tomatoes, clementines, and a new fruit called "skin-ups." Nothing beats fresh island produce.
| Shook the coconut from the tree, sliced open with a machete, drank all the water then ate the inside. Yum! |
![]() |
| Fresh mangos from the trees |
![]() |
| Skin-ups |
![]() |
| The inside |
2) The water - I have never seen water so blue and so clear. Even better, it was always warm.
| On the boat to Petite Martinique |
| At the Sandy Keys... a small strip of sand in the middle of the ocean |
| On the speed boat going all around the Caribbean The edge of the bar at PSV |
3) The islands - I can't think of the best way to describe all the different islands I visited... untouched? rustic? natural? I am shocked that these islands have not been taken over by tourism yet. Some were so small, you could walk from one side to the other in just a few seconds or minutes... other were larger more populated Islands. The islands I visited were...
-Grenada
-Petite Martinique
-Sandy Keys
-Tobego Keys
-Mayreau (Salt Whistle Bay)
-Happy Island
-Petite St. Vincent
-Carricou (just stopped here on the boat)
The largest was Grenada - the "main" island in charge of all these other smaller islands. The smallest was Happy Island, which is a man-made island (using conch shells) with one small bar. The Sandy keys was also just a strip of sand in the ocean with one small umbrella.
| Approaching the Sandy Key |
| Mayreau - my favorite island |
| Approaching Happy Island |
![]() |
| View of PSV from the top of Petite Martinique |
![]() |
| Approaching the coast of Grenada from the boat |
4a) The food - For the second week of my trip, I was lucky enough to have home-cooked meals for breakfast lunch and dinner. Before that, I got to have some amazing meals at the resort. The fish is outrageously delicious and I love authentic Caribbean food.
Here is a list of just some of the fish I ate:
-Red Snapper (whole and fried, never had it like this)
-Stewed Lambi (its really conch, taste sort of like clam but this was my FAVORITE)
-Tuna
-Swordfish
-Shark
-Lobster
-Mahi-mahi
-Saltfish
Some other amazing food I had:
-Chicken roti
-Homemade Baked BBQ chicken
-Roasted Corn
-Bakes
-Mac&Cheese pie
-Breadfruit
-Rice & peas
-Fresh Grenadian chocolate
-Nutmeg jam
-Homemade cherry limemade
-LOTS of amazing coffee
| Homemade shark |
| I bought some amazing sea salt dark chocolate Coffee at the resort |
![]() |
| Roasting corn |
![]() |
| Grilled Lobster tails with homemade garlic butter sauce |
![]() |
| Bakes, saltfish, breadfruit, fresh tomatoes |
![]() |
| Best Curry Chicken Roti ever |
4b) The alcohol - People in Grenada literally drink all day every day. You wake up in the morning and see people walking around drinking beer. I love Carib, the local beer, and Clark's Court Special Dark Rum, the locally produced rum. You can probably find Carib at some random beer distributors in the states, but Clark's Court is only sold in Grenada. I made sure to bring home 2 bottles!
Rum punch at Happy Island.... they grate fresh nutmeg on top of the Rum Punch, its Grenada's #1 export![]() My Fav cocktail special dark and LLB
On the boat
|
5) The people - When we first got there, everyone kept saying hi to us and I thought Marvin knew everyone. But after the tenth "Hello good morning" I realized its just the way they are! At any time of day in any location, you cannot walk by someone without saying hello. They actually will stare at you confusingly if you don't nod, say hello, good morning, good afternoon, etc. One thing I actually loved is how at nighttime, people see you and say "good night" in place of "hello" rather than saying god night as an ending. I also fell in love with Marvin's nieces and nephews, and his brother and sister-in-law showed us so much care and hospitality.
| Renee |
| Marvin and Martin |
| MJ & Marissa |
| Renee, Marissa, MJ |
| Marisa, MJ, Martin, Renee |
![]() |
| The whole fam :-) Besides Martin |















Loved this!! I wish I was there. I can't believe that sand bar island!
ReplyDelete