This seems like a good time to explain my stomach woes. February 9th 2011 was the date of my surgery: gallbladder removal. Prior to the surgery, I had been experience 8 years of upper right abdominal pain. Once every few months I would develop a pain in my upper right side, near my ribs that would grow stronger and last 15-24 hours. Nothing would help it except painkillers; which would only help slightly. These "episodes," happening only once a year or so, eventually started happening every few weeks. I got every GI test known to man, CT scans, MRIs, ultrasounds, kept food diaries, etc and everything came back normal- always. Only one recent test, a HYDA scan; came back "abnormal gallbladder dysfunction." While this test is not completely reliable, 3 different doctors agreed that since my pain was located specifically at my gallbladder for so many years, I should remove it. They also agreed that gallbladder surgery is safe, effective, common, and has little to no side effects. "I dont need my gallbladder."
The gallbladder surgery went well, and the recovery- in terms of the surgery was fine. It was laproscopic and I have 3 tiny scars. I am also happy to say I have not had that upper right pain.
However... 10 days after the surgery I woke up with intense pain in my stomach... burning, searing pain right in the middle by my diaphragm. I nearly couldn't breathe. After 30 minutes or so, it was gone. That was on Februrary 20th. Since that day it has happened almost every single day. Not a doctor, the surgeon, the GI doctors, can figure out what's wrong. I have been trying some medicines which seem to help on some days. Otherwise, I am hoping to heal.
So there I was, boarding the plan, recovering from my 30 minutes of pain.
There is just something about sunshine. When I finally reached the sand, I let the rays penetrate every inch of my skin. I felt no pain, nothing. Is this what it feels like to heal, I thought. I curled my toes downward into the sand as deep as they could go. I stretched my arms over my head and exposed my whole abdomen to the sky.
No comments:
Post a Comment